Starling Madison Lofquist, Inc (SML) is a structural and forensic engineering firm with a 35 year history in Phoenix, AZ. As a widely diversified engineering firm, we offer consulting services for new and existing commercial, industrial, and residential construction. We also offer forensic investigation, restoration design, and swimming pool design services. Other industries serviced include curtain wall design, solar support structures, and specialty metals. The continued growth and success of our business is the result of efforts of from our quality team of employees to provide practical, cost-effective engineering solutions.
Design Division Manager – Job Description
About the Position:
Starling Madison Lofquist Inc. is a structural and forensic engineering firm located in Phoenix, Arizona who has been providing structural engineering services to the southwest United States for nearly 40 years. They provide design and consulting services for projects including commercial, industrial, and residential construction, as well as structural failure investigation and analysis. The continued and growing success of Starling Madison Lofquist Inc. is the result of a commitment to providing quality engineering services that exceed the expectations of their clients. If you’re passionate about creating a meaningful impact on an already thriving team, they want to speak to you!
They are seeking a Design Division Manager to lead, mentor, and train their design team, manage the design, engineering, and approval of a variety of residential and commercial projects, as well as help, optimize their business processes to continue delivering quality work to customers.
- Manage a team of 4 – 10 engineers and drafters to design and engineer a variety of projects, including but not limited to residential remodeling (masonry, concrete, steel, aluminum and wood), solar structural design, and forensic investigations.
- Manage projects and support other project managers with their projects as needed.
- Mentor, train, and lead the design team, ensuring that team members have the available resources to find continued success in their careers at the company.
- Evaluate existing business/design processes, outline suggested process improvement recommendations, and oversee all aspects related to the implementation of business/design process improvements, including project scopes and schedules.
- Maintain and update all process-related documents, resources, procedures, and policies as needed.
- Present progress and status updates, integrating feedback from key stakeholders as needed.
- Communicate with clients, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure that company quality of work is maintained.
- Seek opportunities to strengthen existing client relationships and develop new client relationships.
- Learn and adhere to company policies and standards, using appropriate checklists to ensure quality and consistency.
- Seeking to join a small and close-knit team dedicated to delivering high-quality projects through collaboration, communication, and constant improvement.
- An assertive and driven professional who knows how to solve problems and move projects forward while overcoming obstacles.
- Someone with strong business acumen who understands business long-term goals and can build a plan for how to achieve them.
- Someone who can lead cross-functional projects and manage project teams to achieve required goals.
- A leader who assists those you supervise in managing their time to ensure your project is on time and on budget.
- A reliable communicator who proactively keeps the client (and other team consultants as needed) appropriately informed and updated on the project status.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Civil PE License in at least one state
- SE License preferred, but not required
- 10 – 20 years of experience in steel, wood, concrete, and masonry design projects
- 1 – 3 plus years of experience leading and training a design team
- Strong computer skills are a plus including experience with AutoCAD, MathCAD, Excel, and RISA.
- Solar industry experience is a plus.
- Experience working on multiple projects while prioritizing effectively, managing competing expectations, and meeting deadlines.
- Impeccable attention to detail and delivery of high-quality, error-free work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Demonstrated success in guiding organizational change
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective working independently with minimal supervision, while interacting well with others.
What The Company Brings to You:
- Opportunity to play a significant role in the construction and renewable industries.
- Growth, development, learning, and advancement opportunities.
- A flexible environment where your voice, thoughts, and ideas are valued and heard.
- Excellent benefits (company-paid and voluntary): Health / Dental / Vision / 401(k) with 3% No Matching Requirement / Paid Time Off and more!
Target Comp Range:
$150,000 to $200,000 to start with combined profit sharing and base salary depending on
About The Company:
Starling Madison Lofquist Inc. is a structural and forensic engineering firm located in
Phoenix, Arizona. They have been providing structural engineering services to the
southwest United States for nearly 40 years. As a widely diversified engineering firm of 7
licensed professional engineers and a very experienced design, drafting, and support staff
they provide design and consulting services for projects including commercial, industrial,
and residential construction and structural failure investigation and analysis. The continued
and growing success of Starling Madison Lofquist Inc. is the result of a commitment to
providing quality engineering services that exceed the expectations of their clients.
They believe in and encourage their team to bring their authentic selves to work to strengthen the company as a whole. They’re dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace –
one that values and promotes diversity and fosters an empowered workforce—allowing all employees to succeed in their jobs.
They are committed to equal employment opportunities and value the unique contributions
that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender
identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color,
religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.